Monday, September 5, 2011

September 1st


Oh my!

I watched The Baader Meinhof Complex by Ulli Edel.

What a powerful film. My heart was pounding through the entire film. I actually had to pause it a couple of times to regain my composure.

It tells a "true story" of the years after WWII, in West Berlin, during which a left-wing extremist "terrorist" group- RAF- the Red Army Faction- demanded change to the German social-economic system. That is the basis of the film, but what stuck out for me, was how confidence, desperation and stubbornness will people to go on, when they believe so strongly in a cause.
Of course as time passed, and with the help of the media, RAF appeared more extreme, and public support died.

I am interested in looking further into this time in history because the juxtaposition of human rights and freedom of expression to the force of suppression and elite power, still exists and dominates.

This situation is not new. People want to fight for a cause. They want freedom. They want justice. What happens when it doesn't fit within the norm?

No comments:

Post a Comment